Does Writer Pro sync with iA Writer?

Lewis

26 Dec, 2013 06:17 AM

This comment was split from the discussion: Having what I wrote on Mac show up on iPhone via iCloud.

Does Writer Pro sync with Writer? I assume it does but don't see it stated anywhere?

1. Support Staff 2 Posted by Oli Studholme on 26 Dec, 2013 06:22 AM

Hello Lewis,

Thank you for your question. I’m sorry this is currently not explicitly mentioned anywhere yet — it’s on my list of things to do. For business reasons we’ve released Writer Pro under a new developer account: we’re one company incorporated in Switzerland and Japan, and it made sense for Writer Pro to be handled via the Swiss entity (there were also some technical reasons too, based around Writer Pro for iPad and iPhone’s search feature). Because of how iCloud works, this means the iCloud document stores of the two apps can not be shared. However, it’s possible to migrate your files in Mac OS X by opening both apps’ Open dialogs and copying or moving documents directly, or migrate all files from iA Writer to Writer Pro via the Migrate button in iA Writer for iPad and iPhone v1.9.1’s file list view.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if there’s anything else I can assist with…

Kind regards,
    Oli Studholme

2. 3 Posted by Yuko on 23 Mar, 2014 08:04 AM

I think it's possible for Writer and Writer Pro to sync documents when Writer Pro supports Dropbox. Am I right?

I'm interested in purchasing Writer Pro for Mac If the app can sync with Writer. I'd like to take a memo with Writer on mobile devises.

3. Support Staff 4 Posted by Oli Studholme on 24 Mar, 2014 02:29 AM

Hello Yuko,

Thank you for your question, and my apologies for not mentioning this explicitly in my reply above. Currently iA Writer and Writer Pro use different iCloud containers, so they can’t see each other’s files via iCloud sync. However, Writer Pro for Mac can save documents to Dropbox, and you can then access these documents in Dropbox in iA Writer. We intend to add Dropbox sync to Writer Pro for iPad and iPhone in a future release.

I hope that helps!

Kind regards,
    Oli Studholme

PS It’s also possible to symlink your Writer Pro iCloud container into Dropbox, which would allow you to use the default save locations in Writer Pro for Mac, but still see these files in Dropbox automatically. This is a little technical and not officially supported, but if you’d like more information on doing this please let me know.

4. 5 Posted by Jason on 08 Aug, 2014 01:29 PM

I would be interested in getting the details for syncing via a symlink. Pretty disappointed the two programs' (regular and pro) files don't sync with each other automatically.

5. 6 Posted by Jason on 10 Aug, 2014 06:39 PM

Figured this out for anyone wanting to sync iaWriter on their Mac with Writer Pro on their iOS Device (iPad for me).

The iOS app seemed to have problems with symlinks, but the OSX app handles them nicely. So....

Open terminal in OSX and cd to the iCloud pwd:
          cd ~/Library/Mobile\ Documents/

Next make backups of both the Writer-Pro and informationtechs-writer (which is iaWriter) directories. I saved copies of mine to Documents on my local hdd. These directories will have some numbers in front of them for you, but I'm going to abbreviate them as [iaWriter_dir] and [Writer-Pro_dir] for the remainder of this explanation.

Next copy all of the files in [iaWriter_dir]/Documents/ to [Writer-Pro_dir]/Documents/Write/
    * I put them in Write because there are several new directories (Write, Read, Edit, and Note) in Writer Pro, but iaWriter only has Documents

Preserve the original iaWriter directory by first:
        mkdir iaWriter_orig
    And then mv Documents into the new iaWriter_orig directory:
        mv [iawriter-dir]/Documents/ [iawriter-dir]_orig/

Now make a symlink to the [Writer-Pro_dir]/Write/ directories for iaWriter.
          ln -s [Writer-pro_dir]/Documents/Write [iaWriter_dir]/Documents

Fire up iaWriter on your mac and open a file. Choose Open --> iCloud --> iaWriter_dir/Documents/[File].md

Make some changes in it and it'll show up changed on your iOS Writer Pro and vice-versa.

Good luck to anyone else who was wanting to sync between these two apps like me.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac