iPhone Focus Mode

Ian

23 May, 2012 09:22 PM

Please see attached file which shows mention of Focus Mode being available on the iPhone app.

or view this link: http://cl.ly/2O3r0F0R2n061N151502

Imagine my disappointment when I connected my Bluetooth keyboard activated iA Writer for the ultimate in distraction free writing only to see no option to activate Focus Mode anywhere.

Upon researching this I see mention that you did not bother to include Focus Mode on the iPhone app (despite it being mentioned as a feature on your site) because the screen it so small with the keyboard overlay.

Did you not stop to consider those who with to use the app with a Bluetooth keyboard?

I love this app. I use it all the time on my Mac & was very much looking forward to using the iOS version in the way that I'm accustomed.

Would it be too much to ask to include the feature when an external keyboard is detected?

Thanks
Ian

1. 1 Posted by Oli Studholme on 24 May, 2012 02:48 AM

Thank you for your feedback. I’m sorry that the text in this image gave you this impression. I’ll update it with a more accurate description in the future.

Unfortunately not including Focus Mode was a little more than not bothering to ;-) Currently there is no space for an additional icon in Writer for iPhone’s menu bar, so extra work is needed to implement a custom interface. To be honest we didn’t think using an external keyboard with Writer for iPhone was going to be a major use case. Because it affects a small number of users and requires some work, it’s not high on our priority list at present. We hope to implement this in the future though, so in the meantime all I can do is apologise and ask for your patience.

Happy writing!

2. 2 Posted by Ian on 24 May, 2012 09:38 AM

I look forward to the implementation of this feature.

I may be in the minority but if you look at the attached image, can you you think of a more minimal, distraction free writing environment?

Considering your website contains the following sentence: "The only options you have are Full Screen and Focus Mode." I can only assume you had certainly intended to include this feature on the iOS app, to be on a par with the desktop version.

I implore you to expedite it.

Many thanks
    Ian

3. 3 Posted by Oli Studholme on 24 May, 2012 02:36 PM

That photo is awesome :D I’m sorry about that sentence being inaccurate — the screenshots were made using an earlier version of the “About Writer” document from before Writer for iPhone’s release. You can use Focus Mode in Writer for iPad, but the issues I mentioned meant it has been delayed on the iPhone. I’ll pass on your enthusiasm for it to the developers — here’s hoping it won’t be too far away!

Happy writing!

4. 4 Posted by Milo on 03 Oct, 2012 01:20 AM

Adding my two cents.
    It would be terrific if possible.

5. 5 Posted by Billy on 03 Oct, 2012 03:50 AM

I am currently writing this comment via a bluetooth keyboard teathered to my iPhone. I too would really like to see focus mode on the iphone/ipod version of the app. Maybe you can create this option to be activated on the iphone only? Just a suggestion...

6. 6 Posted by Ian on 03 Oct, 2012 09:36 AM

Glad to see I'm not the only one who wants to see this feature implemented!

7. 7 Posted by Oli Studholme on 05 Oct, 2012 02:45 AM

Thanks for your feedback everyone. While we haven’t got there yet, the increased screen size of the iPhone 5 is another encouragement. Thank you for your patience!

Happy writing!

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac