Wrong margins when printing from IA Writer

Silje Gabrielsen

27 Jan, 2012 09:29 AM

The text will not adjust to the paper I choose. It places the text way out on the right side, instead of wrapping.

1. Support Staff 2 Posted by Oli Studholme on 25 Apr, 2012 04:07 AM

I’m very sorry for the slow reply. This should definitely not be happening. Are you still having this problem? If so, can you please try going to File > Print…, choose Presets: Standard, then choosing Preview (or if you use the detailed Print dialog, choose PDF > Open PDF in Preview). Does this show the same problem? If not, then there’s a problem in your Printer dialog settings (probably a different or custom paper size, for example Postcard instead of A4 or US Letter etc). If you still have the same problem, do you have this issue if you open the document in TextEdit and try printing from there? Please let me know how you get on!

Happy writing!

2. 3 Posted by Kevin Mellon on 17 May, 2012 01:38 AM

I am also having this issue, and I tried preview (from the print dialog box) to see if it previewed similarly, and it does.

I apologize for the language in the screen shots. Kind of all I have available to preview right now without typing something new.

3. Support Staff 4 Posted by Oli Studholme on 17 May, 2012 04:04 AM

@Kevin — Thank you for the screenshots.

Can you please try some of the troubleshooting things I mentioned above, especially opening the same document in TextEdit and seeing if it works as expected there? I’ve asked the developers to look into this, and more information would help us to track down and fix the problem.

Happy writing!

4. 5 Posted by Kevin Mellon on 17 May, 2012 05:08 AM

It prints fine if I export to .rtf and use TextEdit.

5. 6 Posted by Kevin Mellon on 17 May, 2012 05:14 AM

I should probably tell you what I'm on so you have that info:

27" i7 quad-core iMac (late 2010) os X 10.7.4

(This has been an issue since I first downloaded Writer last fall. I only just thought to check to see if others were having the same problem).

6. 7 Posted by Kevin Mellon on 17 May, 2012 05:23 AM

Sorry for all the posts. I just checked on my Macbook Air (which I rarely print from) and the formatting is correct and good on it. It's a 2010 2.13 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo. OS X 10.7.4

Hope that helps.

7. Support Staff 8 Posted by Oli Studholme on 17 May, 2012 05:43 AM

@Kevin Thank you for the extra information. As you mention the issue doesn’t happen on both computers, can you think of anything that might be different? Specifically, are they using the same printer driver and paper size? If the problem isn’t repeatable with the same document on two different machines, it’s likely something in the computer’s setup rather than Writer, but I’d still like to find out more.

Can you please try opening the troublesome Writer document directly in TextEdit (not an exported RTF version), to see if the print preview is still broken (no screenshot needed). You can do this by dragging the document onto TextEdit’s icon in the dock. Also, can you try making a new document with at least one line of text and testing, to see if it happens with all Writer documents on that computer or not.

Thanks for your help in tracking this down!

Happy writing!

8. 9 Posted by Kevin Mellon on 19 May, 2012 01:59 PM

Oli:

I can't think of anything that's different, they run the same OS, same printer drivers, the Air has pretty much all the same software as the iMac on it, and when I update one, I update the other.

I saved an .md version of a few documents to my desktop (rather than iCloud) and opened them in text edit, and everything works fine there.

I also made several new documents using varying blocks of text and still the same issue.

9. 10 Posted by Kevin Mellon on 19 May, 2012 02:00 PM

Also, I have the issue regardless of .txt or .md file extension in Writer.

10. Support Staff 11 Posted by Oli Studholme on 21 May, 2012 03:17 AM

@Kevin — It sounds like an issue in Writer but only on your iMac. Can you please delete iA Writer.app from the Applications folder on your iMac, and reinstall it from the App Store. Let me know if this fixes the problem — fingers crossed!

Happy writing!

11. 12 Posted by Kevin Mellon on 21 May, 2012 03:30 AM

Must be, I just uninstalled and re-installed Writer and the problem persists. I'll troubleshoot to see what else that is unique to me that might be causing it. Thanks for trying to help!

12. Support Staff 13 Posted by Oli Studholme on 24 May, 2012 01:15 AM

I’d like to ask you to try another thing. Can you please print one page and check the font closely. Is the printed font the same font as in Writer? Also, have you purchased the Nitti Light font from Blue Monday? If so, can you try disabling it in Font Book before trying to print?

Thanks in advance!

Happy writing!

13. 14 Posted by Kevin mellon on 24 May, 2012 03:45 AM

The font is the same, and I have not purchased that font from that vendor. If that is the same font Writer uses, that's good to know. I do love the font, hence why I want to print from Writer.

I managed to fix the issue. It had something to do with setting the printer's default paper size to 11x17 (which I use a lot in my work) and when setting Writer documents and writer documents only) to print at "Letter" size, the error in margins would occur. I removed all my print settings for Tabloid and basically reset my printer dialogs and now it looks correct in the printer dialog and prints correctly.

I wish i'd documented exactly what I did, so you could replicate the problem, but as I was just messing around hoping for a result, I didn't think to.

14. Support Staff 15 Posted by Oli Studholme on 24 May, 2012 02:39 PM

Thank you for your excellent feedback. We tracked down the bug — Writer incorrectly calculates the margins based on the paper size selected when you open the Print dialog. If you change the paper size after this, the margins are not updated. We’ve logged the issue and will work on fixing it, but in the meantime the workaround is to set the paper size you’d like to use with Writer as your default paper size, at least before you print from Writer.

Sorry for the bother, and thanks again!

Happy writing!

15. 16 Posted by Kevin Mellon on 24 May, 2012 03:05 PM

Oli,

No bother at all, I love the program and am really glad you were able to help me troubleshoot. I appreciate it!

Thank you!

16. 17 Posted by Michal Pietrzyk on 22 Sep, 2013 10:01 AM

This comment was split into a new discussion: Wrong margins when printing from Writer for Mac 1.5

Dear Support Team,

One of the reasons why I decided to purchase iA Writer for my Mac was the easiness of writing text in the unformatted mode.
    However, after updating the iAWriter to the latest version I noticed that the horizontal margins increased significantly so that the page printed in the unformatted mode looks ugly. To make things worse, the user has neither control over the size printing area nor the size of the margines.

Could you do something about it?

Regards,
    Michal

17. 18 Posted by Meghan on 22 Sep, 2013 07:24 PM

This comment was split into a new discussion: Wrong margins when printing from Writer for Mac 1.5

The printing margins seem odd too me as well. Pages look fantastic on screen (I work on a mac), but the margins look like they just about double when I go to print. It's an inefficient layout and requires so much more paper to print the same document. Except for screenplays and to-do lists, I can't think of what the appropriate application for such a format would be.

The program is a joy for writing. I love it. But the print margin settings could use some fine-tuning in my opinion.

Best,

Meghan

18. Support Staff 19 Posted by Oli Studholme on 23 Sep, 2013 05:22 AM

The issue Kevin kindly reported was fixed in Writer for Mac v1.3, released July 21st, 2012.

19. Oli Studholme closed this discussion on 23 Sep, 2013 05:22 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac