Excessive battery consumption

Georges

03 Jul, 2013 03:36 AM

I notice major battery consumption when using iPad writer.
30% of battery in a 2h meeting (over 3G)
I think it's important that we can write for a long time in an app like writer.
Specially on an ipad.

Ipad gen3

1. 1 Posted by Oli Studholme on 03 Jul, 2013 03:57 AM

I’m sorry to hear you’re having this problem. Which storage are you using for your document? Also, if you are able to, I’d really appreciate it if you could restart your iPad (hold down the Power button and slide to turn off, then repeat to turn on) before the next meeting, and see if the performance is similar. This will check if there’s another app in the background that’s contributing to the problem.

I suspect that because iCloud and Dropbox both sync your changes, the iPad’s 3G radio transmitter is being turned on frequently as you write. It would also be exacerbated if you had weak reception (which is often the case when inside), as the radio transmitter will spend longer looking for a signal and sending data, and I suspect it also uses more power to boost the signal too.

To alleviate this, you could consider writing offline (for example, by turning on Airplane mode), and only syncing your document once you’re finished. If you use Dropbox storage, I’d recommend moving the file to the Documents storage before turning on Airplane mode, and moving it back once you’re finished.

Unfortunately Writer doesn’t have any control over when iCloud or Dropbox sync their data, so for now this is not something we can significantly affect. However, we are constantly working to improve performance, and this should also translate to slightly reduced power consumption. It sounds like iOS 7 will also contain some improvements that will make using 3G connections more battery efficient in the future.

Sorry about this! Please let me know how you get on…

2. 2 Posted by Georges Gomes on 03 Jul, 2013 07:08 AM

Thanks for getting back to me.
    I'm going to proceed as you mention and see if I can pinpoint a pattern.
    But you may be right about the poor reception problem... It's often my case.

Regards
    Georges

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac