you ruined a perfectly good app

Giff

06 Jan, 2012 05:53 AM

I was a huge IA Writer fan. I could write on my ipad, whether I was online or not, and then sync easily to dropbox, and then access the same files on my laptop or any other device. It was simple, effortless and it worked. I had control over my documents, across multiple devices and whether I had wifi/3G or not.

No longer.

So is this new version your definition of progress? or a thinly veiled attempt to force me to buy and switch to using IA Writer on my laptop -- because I don't see any other way to get access to iCloud documents on OS/X. I am fine with you trying to upsell me on your Mac application, but don't do it by ruining the iOS application that I paid for.

Dropbox hasn't changed their functionality. You decided to make this change and force it on your user base, and it infuriates me. At least you could have made it a choice. iCloud is not a superior option. iCloud is not open or flexible.

Roll back your version control or get it right.

1. 1 Posted by Giovanni on 06 Jan, 2012 09:00 PM

I tend to agree. There is no reason to restrict syncing to iCloud, especially with the dreadful history of MobileMe. Dropbox (and Sugarsync, for that matter) are way more advanced and established, and allowing multiple syncing options does not really detract from the otherwise beautiful concept underlying iaWriter. I own a OSX based laptop and I use iCloud, so this hasn't been an issue for me and I have happily bought the desktop version as well, but I can imagine it can be for others. Minimalist is great, but not to detriment of practical.

2. 2 Posted by Cole on 07 Jan, 2012 06:54 AM

Gentlemen, am I missing something? All versions of iAWriter still support Dropbox sync. The addition of iCloud is just that — an addition. I use both, myself — on both devices — and it works flawlessly.

3. 3 Posted by Cole on 07 Jan, 2012 07:01 AM

Well, apparently I am, indeed, missing something — the dropping of Dropbox sycing in v1.4. Sorry for the confusion!

4. 4 Posted by Giovanni on 07 Jan, 2012 08:33 AM

It's not that Dropbox support has been dropped, but rather than only iCloud provides for automatic syncing. In Dropbox, files are just read and saved to Dropbox's servers, there is no autosync. We cannot put the blame of this on the developer, as Dropbox does not seem to currently offer the same sync structure as iCloud. But it would be great to be able to save to just more than iCloud and Dropbox. Sugarsync, to name one. IaWriter is truly a great product, these enhancements will probably come with later versions.

5. 5 Posted by Giff on 07 Jan, 2012 10:40 PM

My point is that it used to be effortless to work offline and online, and across multiple devices. And your text was easily "portable" to other applications.

In the previous version of Writer, you did not have to do anything special to have your files synced between the cloud and local ipad storage. It was one-click (with the occasional answer of which version you wanted to keep if there was a conflict). Now it seems to be barely possible without the most elaborate of multi-step workarounds.

So I do put blame on "the developer", i.e. IA's team, because they had something functioning well with dropbox. They could have given me an alternative sync/storage solution with iCloud without ripping out what worked quite effectively.

6. 6 Posted by zzepposs on 28 Jan, 2012 10:29 PM

Hmm, I must admit you're right, Giff. Am still suffering as well. Hope there is still a Cmd Z available...

7. 7 Posted by martin on 29 Jan, 2012 01:37 AM

I agree completely. I used to work with my documents straight off of Dropbox, so they were always synched up. Now you have to make a copy of the iPad version, move that copy to Dropbox, deal with the renaming, and so forth.

This is such a great application, it kills me that they've hampered it so much. Certainly a developer issue. Please restore this important functionality!

8. 8 Posted by Steven on 10 Apr, 2012 12:01 PM

Hi

I was under the impression this would also make use of Dropbox as well as iCloud. Why can the user not choose where to store their work? Please fix this as others have also requested.

Thank you.

9. 9 Posted by Karen on 16 Apr, 2012 09:08 AM

Indeed, giving up the seamless Dropbox sync function has made this application practically useless for me! The whole point was the way it just encouraged you to... write, without backup etc worries! But writing has now become a cumbersome thing, because texts are not automatically synced. (I tend to send them to myself or collaborators by email, where we before shared a dropbox, but that is just as annoying as copying and renaming in dropbox, etc.)
    Really TOO BAD - and certainly a iA developer/commercial choice, not due to Dropbox changes.

10. 10 Posted by Martijn on 16 Apr, 2012 01:48 PM

Thank you, Jeff and Karen. This is part of problem across the whole app store concept.

Say you buy a car. After a month of happy driving the garage calls you back in. Well, they say, we've updated your model and we're removing your wheels. Why don't you have a coffee while we work, it doesn't cost you extra.

11. 11 Posted by Oli Studholme on 24 Apr, 2012 08:49 AM

I’m very sorry to hear your dissatisfaction with the current state of Dropbox sync, and that it has taken so long for an official response. As @Giovanni noted the Dropbox API was changed, and the sync functionality it previously supported was removed. This is not something we are happy about either, and we are working together with Dropbox to improve the situation.

There’s an article in the knowledge base covering this change called “What are the differences between iCloud, Dropbox and local storage?”, which goes into more detail on the various storage options iA Writer currently supports, and what you can do. In the meantime we are also working hard on improvements in the way iA Writer manages documents that we hope will make this issue easier to deal with.

We are also dissatisfied with this (we love Dropbox and use iA Writer every day ourselves), so we’re doing all we can to improve this situation. All I can do is ask for your patience in the meantime.

Happy writing!

12. 12 Posted by Martijn Voerman on 24 Apr, 2012 09:26 AM

Hi Oli,

Thanks for your reply. I'm happy to hear we share the concern. And I must
    admit I haven't been as good as you to change (or add onather) reply after
    finding the other threat about the changing API.

Now, that I'm still using iA Writer with please as writing in it is like
    swimming in a tropical sea.

Keep up the good work,
    Martijn

13. 13 Posted by Oli Studholme on 25 Apr, 2012 07:29 AM

I’m glad to hear that you’re still finding iA Writer useful despite this problem. We’ll keep working hard on making it even better. Enjoy your swim, and happy writing!

14. Oli Studholme closed this discussion on 26 Apr, 2012 01:24 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac