External keyboards use language setting instead of hardware keyboard layout setting

Patric

17 Apr, 2012 09:35 AM

IA Writer is using the language setting instead of the hardware keyboard layout setting. Which means that the bluetooth keyboard will have an english layout, since mi ipad is in english, instead of swedish that I have configured the hardware keyboard layout to be.

1. 1 Posted by Nils on 18 Apr, 2012 08:03 PM

I have a similar problem...
    I am German and my Ipad-language also is set to german. So of course also my external keyboard has a german layout. But now when i start writing in english iAwriter makes everything to be wrong.
    Apart from this little setting-language problem I really love iAwriter.

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Oli Studholme on 24 Apr, 2012 09:19 AM

I’m sorry but I’m a little confused — I can’t seem to find a hardware keyboard layout setting in the iPad’s settings. To use keyboards for multiple languages, you can go to Settings > General > Keyboard > International Keyboards, and add the keyboard layouts you’d like to use here. For example, I have a Japanese Bluetooth keyboard, and despite the iPad’s language being set to English, it still uses the keyboard’s default layout, rather than a US layout. I can select the software keyboard using the Globe button, but I can also use the external keyboard’s input buttons to change between Japanese and English input (which activate the iPad’s keyboard selection list).

Can you describe to me how I can find the hardware keyboard layout setting, and (if it’s not part of the setting) how you configured the hardware keyboard layout? Thank you!

Happy writing!

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Oli Studholme on 24 Apr, 2012 09:56 AM

WOAH I just found out about the hardware keyboard settings. I’m sorry but I never knew about that :-) Unfortunately my Japanese keyboard isn’t suitable for testing this, but we’ll try to find out a little more about this problem internally. Is iA Writer the only app you’re having these problems with?

Happy writing!

4. 4 Posted by Patric on 27 Apr, 2012 11:54 AM

I've done some tests, guessing that it's iOS wide issue, for instance the hardware keyboard settings are not used in the Notes app. So the Notes app have the same issues as IA Writer.

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Oli Studholme on 28 Apr, 2012 05:26 AM

Thank you for following up. As it’s an iOS issue, there’s nothing we can do to iA Writer to fix it. However, some of my colleagues use the Swiss German keyboard layout and are bothered by this too, so we’ll try to follow up with Apple directly.

I’ll close this discussion for now, but please feel free to open it if you want to add anything further.

Happy writing!

6. Oli Studholme closed this discussion on 28 Apr, 2012 05:26 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac