Remove Files from iCloud

Thomas Ott

22 May, 2012 09:30 AM

Hey,

i have writer for my mac an i ilke it! But i have a little problem with icloud and writer. My Question is how can i delete file from the icloud on my mac? I don't found this..

thanks!

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Oli Studholme on 22 May, 2012 01:36 PM

Unfortunately I can’t confirm this personally at the moment, but I think you can do this from System Preferences > iCloud.

Happy writing!

2. 2 Posted by Thomas Ott on 22 May, 2012 02:42 PM

thank you oil
    hmm, but i think this solution is not really the best!

3. 3 Posted by Erik Wennstrom on 18 Jun, 2012 08:15 AM

To remove a Writer file from iCloud on your Mac:
    Open the file you want to remove
    Choose File > iCloud > Remove from Cloud
    /Erik

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Oli Studholme on 19 Jun, 2012 06:30 AM

@Erik — Thank you for answering this. Hurrah for new releases! :-)

Happy writing!

5. 5 Posted by sirrahn on 03 Jul, 2012 01:42 AM

Hi, I have just removed a load of files from write using this method but the every time I try to do it with the last file iA Writer crashes and the file is not removed.

I know this is not writers fault but i cannot believe how poorly though out icloud is. I just want to delete the file but I am supposed to move it to the desktop or somewhere else and then i have to delete it from there. This whole system of trying to take control of the computer with processes that don't work isn't really like Apple of old. I wish they would come back!

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by Oli Studholme on 04 Jul, 2012 11:46 AM

@sirrahn — I’m sorry to hear you’re having problems deleting the last file. I’ll see if I can reproduce that too. Did you try going to System Preferences > iCloud and deleting it from there? Let me know if that doesn’t work for you either.

Sorry about this!

7. 7 Posted by Jaime López on 27 Jul, 2012 12:11 PM

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem as @sirrahn. I upgraded to Mountain Lion and now I can't access a document. If I try to remove it from the Finder I can't for a permissions problem.

I would like to solve this problem and get open this document. And if this is not possible, remove the doc at least.

Thanks!

8. Support Staff 8 Posted by Oli Studholme on 27 Jul, 2012 03:42 PM

I’m sorry to hear you’re having this problem too. It seems that sometimes the state of iCloud gets out of sync with the device, leading to this kind of issue. The iCloud server thinks the file has already been downloaded and because of this doesn’t send it. I’ll find out what the best way to tackle this is, but I suspect that turning off iCloud in System Preferences, restarting the machine, then turning iCloud on again should nudge iCloud to properly sync everything.

Happy writing!

9. 9 Posted by Jaime López on 27 Jul, 2012 06:52 PM

Unfortunately, it did not work.

What if I buy the iPhone app? Can I retrieve or delete the document from there?

Thanks!

10. Support Staff 10 Posted by Oli Studholme on 31 Jul, 2012 01:06 PM

@Jaime — Given the peculiarities of iCloud I can’t guarantee it, but for $0.99 it might be worth a try. The sale is ending very soon, so if you’re planning to do this be quick! ^_^ Please let me know how you get on…

Happy writing!

11. 11 Posted by Jaime López on 02 Aug, 2012 10:58 PM

Hi,

Yesterday, I bought the iPhone app and I finally got to delete the document in iCloud. So I couldn't retrieve the document but it wasn't really important.

Thanks for everything.

12. Support Staff 12 Posted by Oli Studholme on 17 Aug, 2012 12:59 PM

Just to follow up on this, is anyone still affected by this issue? If so please try following the steps listed in our knowledge base article “iCloud won’t work. What’s wrong?”. These should nudge iCloud into re-syncing data correctly. If you’re still having problems even after following these steps, please let me know!

13. Support Staff 13 Posted by Oli Studholme on 06 Dec, 2012 12:13 PM

Following up again, we made some changes in Writer for Mac 1.4 that should have addressed this, so I’ll close this discussion for now. However please feel free to open it if you have any other questions, or if you want to add anything further.

Happy writing!

14. Oli Studholme closed this discussion on 06 Dec, 2012 12:13 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac