quickcursor how to

beppe

28 May, 2012 04:03 PM

As I heard that QuickCursor was compatible with iA Writer I bought it, then after a bit of a research I landed at your page: http://support.iawriter.com/help/kb/mac-frequently-asked-questions/...

but I am still at a loss on how to transfer what I type in iA Writer to my other app.

1. 1 Posted by beppe on 28 May, 2012 04:14 PM

Addendum: my other app being Scrivener, in case it were relevant.

2. 2 Posted by Susan on 29 May, 2012 01:02 AM

You should open up QuickCursor's user guide to get the full answer to your question. The default keyboard shortcuts are to save (command S) and close the window (command q) then you see the text show back up in the other, originating app.

3. 3 Posted by Oli Studholme on 29 May, 2012 04:25 AM

I’m sorry, I wrote the knowledge base article from the perspective of someone wanting to edit text from another application using Writer, not the other way around. I’ve updated the article to make this clear. You’ll need to add settings for Scrivener to QuickCursor, and as Susan says that’s something the QuickCursor user guide should be able to help you with.

Happy writing!

4. 4 Posted by beppe on 29 May, 2012 05:18 PM

Thank you Susan and Oli for your replies.
    I read the article and did my all my command+S and Q, and I must say that after a few attempts it worked, then it didn't work, so I must conclude that it is still buggy.
    It seems I am not the only one with this problem, and if you are interested you can peek at the Scrivener forum at the link below.
    scrivener forum

5. 5 Posted by Oli Studholme on 30 May, 2012 02:31 AM

I’ve tested editing Writer documents in other applications using QuickCursor, and it seems to work ok for me in TextMate and TextWrangler. I downloaded the Scrivener demo, but while notes are created in the project’s Research folder, no text is passed through. I was also unable to send text to Scrivener from TextMate, so perhaps this is something to do with Scrivener’s ODB support, or how it converts text to rich text (Writer only uses plain text).

One thing to keep in mind is QuickCursor expects the application window or browser tab to still have focus when you return to the app, so if you use QuickCursor to send text from a browser tab to Writer, then while editing in Writer you switch to a different tab, when you save and close the Writer window QuickCursor won’t send the text back to the expected tab (unless you subsequently made that tab active before saving).

Happy writing!

6. 6 Posted by beppe on 30 May, 2012 05:03 AM

Thank you taking the time to look into it.

7. Oli Studholme closed this discussion on 05 Jul, 2012 02:35 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac