Default open location, ability to make .txt the default extension

Joe

18 Apr, 2012 11:12 PM

The usability of iA Writer is severely impeded by the lack of these two options.

1. The ability to have the Mac version DEFAULT to saving as .txt
  2. The ability to have the iPhone/iPad versions default to opening from a subfolder in drop box

Yes, I realize other people have asked. Yes, I realize you have responded that these features would be added.

I am a little doubtful of these responses given the following fact - on this web page:

http://support.iawriter.com/help/kb/mac-frequently-asked-questions/...

You state "The update to 1.2.1 will add the ability to open and save to probably every text file extension you ever dreamed of."

My Mac version of iA Writer -IS- 1.2.1, and I certainly don't see this option having been implemented...

So can you give an estimate of when these features will actually be implemented? These are deal breakers for me - I am using other tools until this is resolved, I was simply wasting ENTIRELY too much time working around these issues when I tried to use your products (which are stellar otherwise).

Thanks!

1. 1 Posted by Oli Studholme on 24 Apr, 2012 03:15 AM

Thank you for your feedback, and I’m sorry to hear these problems are preventing you from using iA Writer. Unfortunately that FAQ article is a prime example of why giving release dates is a bad idea for developers. We’re working hard on these features, but they’re just not finished yet. All I can say is we share your frustration (we use iA Writer heavily too), we’ll ship them as soon as we’re happy with them, and all we can do is ask for your patience until then.

In the meantime, one workaround I could suggest for your first issue is to create a blank .txt document on your Mac by saving an iA Writer document, changing the extension from .md to .txt, and confirming that it will open in iA Writer by default (if it doesn’t have an iA Writer icon, you can change this in the file’s Finder info panel (Cmd I > Open with… iA Writer.app)). Then, when you want to create a new iA Writer document, select and duplicate this document (Cmd D), rename it, then double-click on it to open it in iA Writer. I realise this is fiddly but it’s the best I can suggest for now.

Happy writing!

Edit: continued in Default open location, ability to make .txt the default extension

2. Oli Studholme closed this discussion on 24 Apr, 2012 03:15 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac